Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Wow!

So it hit me Saturday evening as we were walking through a village of 600. I turned to Stephanie and said, "I'm in India, walking through a village, praying with people!" I couldn't believe it. I sometimes still don't believe it.
We arrived left SC first thing on Wednesday Morning and arrived in Chennai, India at about 11:30 Thursday night (local time). We traveled through Newark NJ and Frankfurt Germany. Roughly 20 hours of air-time. As we were headed for the Immigration lines in the Airport, we heard "What's Up! What's Up!" uttered by two Indian guys who were excited to see a team of all white girls... well, a team of almost all white girls. Other than Dr. Best and Ron, There are all girls. Unfortunately, we had to break it to Salima that she wasn't white in the middle of the Frankfurt airport. She was also devastated to find out that there isn't a Santa Clause!
Our Awesome GI team leader and ICM contact met us outside the airport. We were ushered to the vans. Liz (GI team leader) and Doug (ICM contact) quickly became part of our team, as did Chitti (who has accompanied us on almost all of our outings and has proved very useful).
I can't give details about everything simply because of time limitations, but I'll try to give a brief overview. We spend our first night in the YMCA in Chennai. The next day (Friday) was a 5 hour drive to the city of about 300,000 out of which we are based. Us girls are staying in a guest house connected to the ministries offices. It's nice, with air conditioning in two of the rooms. There is also a nice balcony where I like to spend some time in the early mornings. It's fun to just watch everything around me, and I enjoy being entertained by the antics of the guys on the roof across the road. Seems like every time I'm out there, they are jumping rope, lifting weights, doing push-ups... I have the sneaking suspicion that they are simply showing off because I'm a white girl.
Saturday, We spent the morning at a CCH. There were 7 boys, two of which belonged to the Pastor and his wife, who lived on the first floor, with a room for the church taking up the second floor.
Well, we'll have to finish this another time...
Blessings!
-Susan

2 comments:

  1. Great to hear from you. Praying for you. It has been raining here for most of a week, but sunny today to be close to 80 degrees. We are doing well. Love you,Mother

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you guys! Michelle I hope you don't run into any crazy birds while you are there :)

    ReplyDelete